2017 Session Photos
Workforce Development
Economic Growth
Fighting For Virginia Schools
Fiscal Responsibility


I am honored to have the privilege of representing you in the Senate of Virginia. Serving constituents in the 35th District is a responsibility that I take very seriously. I hope you will find this website useful to communicate with me about legislative matters of concern and issues facing our community. Together we can keep Virginia moving forward in a positive fashion.

I encourage you to sign up for my email newsletter, join me on Facebook or contact my office directly.

Senator Saslaw's Blog

Issues Briefing Town Hall

10 am – Noon

Sleepy Hollow Elementary School 

3333 Sleepy Hollow Road, Falls Church 

Much information (or misinformation depending on your perspective) has been circulated about proffer reform legislation (SB 549). This is a very complicated and in most cases a parochial local issue. As a co-patron of this initiative, I can attest to numerous meetings, many hours and several iterations of the measure now on its way to the House.  The VA Association of Counties, the VA Municipal League and several individual local governments have been among the stakeholders at the table discussions. 

What does this bill attempt to do? Primarily it is intended to jump start the development and housing industry with “reasonable and specifically attributable” conditions for residential rezoning. This is an attempt to level the playing field for landowners to only address the impacts of their development project without being forced to address other unrelated infrastructure in the locality (museums, off-site landscaping, etc.). 

While many localities have fair and reasonable standards in place, there are some that have hindered their growth with exorbitant costs that are then passed through to the homebuyer.  We know in Loudoun County that can amount to an additional cost on average of $45,000 - $59,000 per house. The standard will not apply to commercial re-zonings or any new residential areas in an approved area comprehensive plan that has a density of at least 4.0 floor ratio in a portion of a revitalization area that encompasses mass transit and mixed used development or within one-quarter mile of an existing or planned Metrorail station.  This language was adopted to address the revitalization areas underway in both Fairfax and Loudoun County. Additional information can be found on my website.

On the topic of women’s health, did you know according to the American Cancer Society, cancer kills more than 270,000 women each year? Death rates are the highest in the southern and eastern part of the country, including Virginia. Women can reduce their risk of developing serious cancers by getting regular cancer screenings and health check-ups, however this can get expensive. Funding for Planned Parenthood is under attack in the General Assembly.  This organization is an affordable resource for addressing many important health issues. I believe we need to be increasing access to quality, affordable healthcare for women. 


RAPIDPASS systems are exhaust emissions analyzers similar to those used in traditional emissions inspection stations, but adapted for drive-through testing.  Check out the link to see how this new program can make your life easier. 

Join Senator Marsden, Delegate Kaye Kory and me at our Issues Briefing Town Hall, Saturday, February 13 from10am – Noon at Sleepy Hollow Elementary School. In the event of inclement weather, we will follow school closing policy for Fairfax County Public Schools. Please check their website for more information. 

Please also visit my website at the bottom of the "Resources" page for emergency information and phone numbers. 

As always, I welcome your comments and questions at district35@senate.virginia.gov.


Legislative Town Hall Meeting


Saturday, February 13, 2016
10:00AM - 12:00PM


Sleepy Hollow Elementary School

3333 Sleepy Hollow Road
Falls Church, VA

(See map)


Please Join


Senator Dick Saslaw

Senator Dave Marsden

Delegate Kaye Kory

Sign up!


Follow Senator Dick Saslaw on:


Transform 66

GO Virginia